Here are some reasons to volunteer.
- It's good for you! Volunteering provides physical and mental rewards.
- It saves resources - Volunteering provides valuable community services so more money can be spent on local services.
- Volunteers gain professional experience - You can test out a career.
- It brings people together - As a volunteer you assist in: Uniting people from diverse backgrounds to work toward a common goal and building camaraderie and teamwork.
- It promotes personal growth and self esteem - Understanding community needs helps foster empathy and self-efficacy.
- Volunteering strengthens your community - As a volunteer you help: Support families, Improve s lives, Support youth.
- You learn a lot - Volunteers learn things like hidden talents that may change your view on yourself worth, learn about the functions and operation of our government and the Center of Concern and the Community.
- You get a chance to give back - to support community resources that they use themselves or that benefit people they care about.
- Civic responsibility - Community service and volunteerism are an investment in our community and the people who live in it.
There are many many ways you can assist the work of the Center.
- Reception/Data entry
- Telephone Reassurance Calls to home-bound seniors
- Friendly Visiting to home-bound seniors to provide conversation, companionship and light household tasks
- Holiday Gift and Grocery Deliveries
- Promote The Center on Facebook and other social media
- Assist with public relations and facilitate media coverage
- HEALTH AND MEDICAL : (Psychologists & Social Workers)
- Alzheimer’s caregivers support
- Grief and loss support
- INCOME TAX: (CPA Certified Public Accountants, bankers)
- Prepare simple federal and state income tax returns, especially for the tax season (February 1 through April 15)
- LEGAL: (Attorneys)
- Prepare simple wills, durable powers of attorney for health care and property
- Medicare counseling (federally funded by the Senior Health Insurance Program)
- COMPUTERS/INTERNET: (IT -- Information Technology Managers)
- Install, troubleshoot, and maintain computer hardware, software, and network
- PUBLIC RELATIONS: (Social Media and Business Specialists)
- Make, edit, and handle YOU TUBE video Help us on FACEBOOK (and other social media networks) to develop and form a community of socially-minded people who care and want to GIVE and HELP OTHERS
- Help promote The Center of Concern through various platforms and facilitate media coverage during events; also track functions.
Resources for Volunteers
Here are links to some information we have prepared to orient you regarding the process.