The Center of Concern connects seniors and responsible adults who have a room in their home or condo to rent with individuals who seek affordable housing options. Through the Home Sharing program, Center of Concern staff matches individuals by application screening and personal interviews. Each setting is different and every “seeker” and “provider” has their own needs.
- Reduce housing costs
- Protect retirement savings
- Finding companionship while maintaining an independent lifestyle
- Additional funds to alleviate monthly mortgage/rent expenses
- Below market rental rates
- Remain in your home and community
- Complete application
- Provide valid state-issued photo ID/DL
- Provide proof of verifiable income
- Submit a non-liability waiver and criminal background check. (Criminal Background Check is completed before a contract is executed for both Seeker and Provider)
- Submit four character references
- Providers must be willing to comply with a mandatory home assessment prior to being matched.
Is Home Share safe?
Home Share provides an added layer of security as both seekers and providers must pass a criminal background check in addition to having a character reference check.
I currently live out of state but I’m looking to move back to Illinois, can I apply?
Our first priority is to serve and place clients from Maine Township, specifically incorporated Des Plaines, Niles, Park Ridge and portions of Morton Grove, Glenview, and Rosemont. We also serve residents of other North Suburban Cook County areas (this excludes the city of Chicago.) Unfortunately, we are unable to accept out-of-state applications at this time.
How long does it take to be matched?
Once an application is complete, a home share seeker is placed on a waiting list for available opportunities. There is no set timeframe as each setting is different and each person has their own unique needs.
Is home share still operating during COVID-19?
Yes, applications are available online and we encourage both parties to conduct telephone interviews and wear protective equipment when meeting in person.
Can I view available rooms before completing an application?
No, a completed application is needed before we can share any details of available opportunities.
Does Home Share provide immediate housing?
No, as there is no timeframe of how soon a match can be made, we recommend seekers have suitable housing while they wait for their match.
How much is the average rent being charged?
The average rent a seeker can expect to pay is between $500-600/month but varies with each provider.
Home Sharing Application Suggested Donation
The Home Sharing program operates on donations to cover background check fees. We encourage a $15 donation from applicants.
Use the buttons below to access the online Home Sharing forms.